Friday, September 5, 2008

This is funny

Just a quick update. A did indeed have rotavirus, which is easily the most vile, evil (which is spelled using the same letters as vile--coincidence? I think not) virus known to humankind and the offal of which could legitimately used in biological warfare. But more on that later. (And that's not the funny part, either. It's absolute fact.)

About rotavirus: "Children with a rotavirus infection have fever, nausea, and vomiting, often followed by abdominal cramps and frequent, watery diarrhea. Kids may also have a cough and runny nose."

That's still not the funny part. (Actually, there was nothing remotely funny about that--two miserable days for everyone, especially poor A.) This, however, is: About rotavirus in adults: "As with all viruses, though, some rotavirus infections cause few or no symptoms, especially in adults."

Which must explain why, since Monday evening--despite having disinfected everything in the house a billion times over with an anti-rotavirus spray until the mere smell of Floral Spring makes me want to puke--T and I have been experiencing something along the lines of a particularly vindictive stomach flu. Usually, we are never sick at the same time, which is a good thing because I found myself arguing that I was sicker than he was because my fever was higher than his. (What can I say, I was delirious and wanted nothing more than for him to put a pillow over my head to end my suffering.) For two days, all I could tolerate was orange soda. I do not know why this is.

Several days later, we're both still lagging, I'm still not really eating, and today is my first day at work all week. And A? Has been bouncing and gleeful and the very picture of perfect health since Monday. Which is a joy to behold when you're lying limply on the couch trying to explain why you don't want to play hide and seek (other than trying to get her to hide for 15 minutes of blessed silence).

Oh, and the potty training? Going beautifully, thanks for asking.

No comments: