Monday, July 14, 2008

You just can't make this stuff up (6/19/08)

I've had a pretty nasty cold all week--today's the first day I've felt human in some time. Of course, this was exacerbated by the fact that my husband (T) has been gone for nearly a week, meaning that I've been doing the single mom thing for nearly a week. Honestly, I don't know how real, full-time singles do it--my hat, my bra, and anything else I've got go off to them.

That being said, there have been a couple of amusing moments. Such as the following:

Scene: Wednesday, 6:30 a.m., my bed, to which I've retreated with a wide-awake and energetic toddler...

Me: [croaking voice] Honey, please don't jump up and down on Mommy. She doesn't feel good.
[silence]
A: You want some milk?
Me: No, thank you.
A: You want crackers?
Me: No, but thank you for asking.
[pensive silence]
A: How 'bout some smoked salmon?

She's definitely my kid.

Then today, I forced myself out for my daily lunchtime slog, er walk. On the way back, I happened to glance into a car parked on the side of the road... and did a triple take. Because sitting in the driver's seat and looking back at me was a small white dog wearing--I shit you not--an even smaller red cowboy hat. Needless to say, hilarity ensued. That was immediately followed by intense speculation on my part: Where on earth was that dog going next? I'm half tempted to go back and see.

I think that's a great way to lead into my birthday (I'll be 36 tomorrow): everyday reminders that we all just bide our time here in the theater of the absurd.

No comments: