Monday, January 5, 2009

Chicken or the egg?

Actually, I think it depends on the species of the bird. Oh, what's that, you have no idea what I'm talking about? Parental paranoia. I was just wondering if you become more worried as a parent if you're already a worrying type, if it comes part and parcel with onset of owning a small being whose life hangs in the balance of your judgment, or if it's some combination thereof.

I'm Type A, always have been. I'm not a hypochondriac, never was--for myself or for loved ones; I always assumed that things would work out for the best. The downside is that I'm terribly surprised/unprepared when it doesn't.

But that all changed with the advent of baby A. I don't think I've ever worried more about anyone or anything. I only mention this because I've realized that of late, she's always wanting something to drink, even if it's just water, and that this is one of the first signs of diabetes. GREAT. So, until I can get her in to see the doctor, I'm going to be lying awake wondering if I'm just being paranoid or if it's a good catch. Chances are the former; I have never, ever been right about a diagnosis (other than ear infections--I'm an ace at those), including teething. (I blamed everything on teething when it wasn't and totally missed the ball when it was.)

So, just throwing this out there. Chicken, egg, or ostrich? Hm...

Edited today to add: Okay, so if the kids aren't enough to scare the hell out of you, the doctor fills in the gap. I called this morning and he freaked out and demanded that I bring her in RIGHT NOW. Long story short, she's fine, thank anyone and everyone. I told him he'd damn near given me a heart attack and he said that I'd almost given him one, so we were even. Evidently, he had a patient a few years ago with the same symptoms and they barely got him in before he lapsed into a diabetic coma. YIKES. So ever since, he's been a little gun-shy with the diabetes symptoms. So now I'm wondering if pediatricians don't actually have it worse than anyone...

No comments: